Ford says, the 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine in the Ford Mustang has been enhanced specifically for the Ford Mustang. The intake manifold and turbocharger housing has been improved to to increase the output to better suite the Ford Mustang performance expectation while providing the also expected efficiency and economy from this 2.3-litre power unit.
As with other EcoBoost engines, direct fuel injection, twin independent variable camshaft timing and turbocharging are a few of the modern technologies used to help bring the driveability in any conditions in the smaller displacement unit.
To go with tweaked 2.3-liter performance some of the interals have been updated, these include:
- Forged-steel crankshaft
- Piston-cooling jets
- Steel piston ring carriers
- Premium bearing materials
- Upgraded valve seat materials
- Forged-steel connecting rods
- High-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block with ladder-frame bearing caps
- Deep-sump, die-cast aluminum oil pan
With the ability to overtake well thanks to the turbo technology and torque delivery the only thing not going for the 2.3-litre EcoBoost is the sound of the glorious 5.0-litre V8.